Why run for council?
If you’re passionate about the Wellington region and its future development, this is your opportunity to stand for Greater Wellington Regional Council and help shape our future. The regional councillor roles are an opportunity to put forward your ideas on issues that are important to you and the wider community and make your voice heard.
Greater Wellington Regional Council’s elected members:
- Are involved in governing one of the largest regions in the country
- Provide direction for decisions on how our region’s natural resources and environment are managed
- Are involved in developing the public transport environment
- Are community leaders, representing the interests of all Wellington region residents and ratepayers
Who should run?
If you are passionate about the Wellington region and have ideas for our region’s future, then you should consider running for council.
Elected members come from all backgrounds and walks of life; they may be parents, students, business people or self-employed. There are no special qualifications required to stand for election.
Successful elected members are likely to be:
- Effective decision-makers
- Excellent communicators, able to relate to a wide range of people from many different cultures and disciplines
- Good at building relationships and networking
- Often called upon to speak publicly at meetings and events, and with the media (training can be provided to help develop these skills)
- Flexible and able to prioritise and manage time effectively