Why run for council?

If you are passionate about the Wellington region and want to make it a great place to work, live and play, consider standing for Greater Wellington Regional Council.  You’ll have the change to influence the direction and policies of the council in these important areas:

  • Raising the quality of our fresh water
  • Enhancing our natural environment
  • Improving public transport
  • Regional resilience
  • Safeguarding our water supply

Who can stand for council?

To stand for council you must be:

  • Over 18 years of age and enrolled in the area you wish to stand in
  • A parliamentary elector (on the parliamentary electoral roll)
  • A New Zealand citizen

Are there any other restrictions?

If you’re standing for election to the Greater Wellington Regional Council, you can’t:

  • Also stand for election to a city or district council or community board in the Wellington Region, or
  • Stand for election for more than one constituency in the Wellington Region, or
  • Have an interest in any contract over $25,000 (GST inclusive) with the Greater Wellington Regional Council unless you have prior approval from the Office of the Auditor-General

What does it cost to run a campaign?

The cost to run your campaign depends on the type of activity you decide to undertake.

You can’t spend more than a certain amount on your campaign. The amount depends on where you’re standing for election:

Constituency Total population Expenditure limit (GST inclusive)
Pōneke/Wellington 201,000 $60,000
Te Awa Kairangi ki Tai/Lower Hutt 105,900 $55,000
Porirua-Tawa 72,200 $40,000
Kāpiti Coast 53,200 $30,000
Wairarapa 45,500 $30,000
Te Awa Kairangi ki Uta/Upper Hutt 43,700 $30,000

The campaign expenditure limit applies from 8 July to 8 October 2019.

You will also need to authorise any advertising that you use.

You are required to pay a deposit of $200 (incl GST) when you lodge your nomination. Your deposit will be refunded to you when you file your return of electoral donations and expenses, if you meet one or more of the conditions listed in the 2019 Candidate Handbook.

How do I run a campaign?

You will need to think about whether you want to stand independently, or work with a political party or a team of candidates.

Start talking to people in your community to find out what is important to them.

When is the election?

The voting period of the election commences on 20 September by postal vote using the Single Transferable Voting electoral system (STV). It concludes at 12noon on Saturday 12 October. Preliminary results will be available as soon as practicable after the close of voting.

What’s the difference between a regional councillor and a city councillor?

Local government in New Zealand is represented by regional and territorial (city or district) councils. Regional councils like Greater Wellington cover larger areas than territorial councils.

Natural resources, and their use, often cross local boundaries so regional councils manage these resources for the benefit of the whole region. Some things, like transport planning, are also best carried out at a regional level.

City and district councils are responsible for essential community services within their own areas, such as road maintenance, land-use and subdivisions, community health, and community services like libraries and public swimming pools.

Regional or territorial councillors decide the overall policies while management decide how the activities should be carried out.

Who’s running the election?

The Electoral Officer, employed by Greater Wellington Regional Council, engages the electoral officers of the city and district councils in our region to compile and certify the electoral rolls, issue and process voting documents and count the votes. The Electoral Officer will be responsible for accepting candidate nominations for Greater Wellington Regional Council and declaring our election results.

Who can nominate a candidate and how?

To nominate a candidate, two nominators and the candidate must complete a nomination form and comply with the legal requirements. A nomination form and a copy of the rules for making nominations can be down loaded from this website from the date nominations open on 19 July. This information will also be available from our offices in Wellington and Masterton, and is included in the candidate information pack. Nominations for the 2019 local government elections close at 12noon on 16 August.

When does voting close?

Voting closes at 12noon on 12 October 2019.

How much will I earn?

From the date that councillors take office after the elections each councillor will be eligible to receive annual remuneration of $61,517 on an interim basis.  The remuneration will be reviewed once Council has determined its governance structure and made Councillor appointments to positions of additional responsibility. See the candidate handbook for information on regional councillor remuneration for 2019/2020 under the current governance structure.